Tuesday, May 21, 2013

unexpected tofu delight

I haven't had much time to cook and tonight was no exception.
This took me about half an hour to put together and I couldn't wait to eat it!
The flavors didn't all go together but I was so hungry I didn't care.
My favorite part was the tofu - I can't believe how good it turned out.
If you try this maybe use brown rice as your starch and save the avocado pasta for another night =)





TOFU-licious

- a chunk of shredded carrot
- garlic
- olive oil
- tofu
- sesame oil, hoi sin sauce, garlic chili paste and soy sauce (I'm not sure all this stuff is vegan - but I have learned to change the things I eat a little at a time. this way I don't get too overwhelmed and give up)

heat some oil garlic and shredded carrots
add tofu and let sizzle for a bit
add in a little sesame oil, a few squirts of hio sin sauce, soy sauce and garlic chili paste (i only used one teaspoon of the garlic chili sauce - I'm a whimp when it comes to spice)

let that sizzle for 5-10 minutes
mix things around once in a while to make sure things don't burn.

This was so good! it tasted like a fried turnip dish I love from home!  The shredded carrots really helped the sauce bind to the tofu. yummmmm


AVOCADO pasta click here to see Angela's original post

While you are boiling your pasta...put these ingredients into a blender (I used my magic bullet):
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- garlic powder (you're supposed to blend real garlic, but I was in a rush)
- juice from 1/3 a lime
- 1 avocado cut into chunks
- salt/pepper to taste
- a few shakes of dried basil (I didn't have any fresh basil from the garden yet)

blend this until smooth.
when pasta is boiled, turn off the stove, drain the water
put pasta back into it's pot
add the avocado mixture (Since the pasta is still hot, the avocado cream also warms up)
That's it! a creamy alfredo without the cream.
I thought I would miss alfredo sauce but I really do love this replacement.


The broccoli wasn't anything special, cooked in the tofu pan after I plated it (I don't like washing more pans than I need to).  I didn't add any oil, just a little water to help steam cook the broccoli.   I was tired by this time so I added nothing to my broccoli.  there was some flavor leftover in the pan from the tofu so it wasn't all that bland. 



I'm just not that excited about cooking this week, maybe friday night's dinner will be better...
Lady, what are you going to eat tomorrow?



No comments:

Post a Comment