Friday, May 10, 2013

Eggplant Unparmesan + spaghetti squash

Hi Lady, welcome back!
I missed you.


On the menu tonight:
Eggplant UNparmesan
with roasted spaghetti squash


I saw this recipe from Mark Bittman.  Click here to see the original recipe.  I love Eggplant Parmesan so I couldn't wait to try this vegan version.  


Roasted speghetti squash

- cut squash in half and remove seeds 
- rub a little olive oil on the squash
- sprinkle some salt and pepper

Preheat oven to 400 degrees for 45 minutes
put 1/2 c water on the pan

when ready, use a fork and scrap the squash - voila!
Sorry, I took the picture AFTER i ate. whoops.

Eggplant UNparmesan

You will need:
- An eggplant
- olive oil
- salt/pepper
- an onion chopped
- three or four small gloves of garlic minced
- six small tomatoes - I used small campari tomatoes on the vine but I just picked anything that was available
- a bottle of plain unsalted tomato sauce
- breadcrumbs

Tomato Sauce
- heat 2 tbsp of oil in a pan on medium heat
- add chopped onion
- sprinkle a little salt
(5 minutes later)
- add minced garlic
(2 minutes)
- add chopped tomatoes
let simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally
- add tomato sauce

- cut eggplant into circles that are 1/2 inch thick
- rub some olive oil on top
- sprinkle some salt and pepper
Bake @400 for 10 minutes on each side
Eggplant is ready when it's lightly browned or crispy


When tomato sauce is ready:
- put some tomato sauce on a baking tray
- place eggplant on top
- another layer of sauce
- another layer of eggplant + sauce
- sprinkle breadcrumbs on top
- salt and pepper

place baking tray back in the oven until the breadcrumbs brown and sauce is thick
by this time your spaghetti squash should be ready.


Hey Lady, what did you eat tonight?

No comments:

Post a Comment