Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Super Soup and Roasted Beets

Back on Track Dinner

Hello, Lady!

My family has been in town for a couple of weeks. A trip to Texas requires indulging in the huge array of awesome foods (and huge portions) that make the state famous. And as the good host that I am, I joined my guests and indulged with them. It was totally worth it, of course - one thing we're good at down here is eating (future guests be warned!) But I'm also not feeling my best after these weeks and am ready to get back on track with lots of vegetables. I wandered around Whole Foods tonight until inspiration struck and this is what I came up with:


                                                       Super Soup and Roasted Beets    

Soup: 

- 1 large bunch broccoli cut into large chunks
- 1-2 cloves garlic, quartered
- 1 inch peeled ginger, quartered
- 3 tablespoons mellow yellow miso paste

Bring ~6 cups of water to a boil. Add ginger and garlic and boil for a couple of minutes. Add broccoli and cook approximately 5 minutes, until tender. Remove about a cup of cooking liquid and mix with miso paste in a separate bowl. Puree liquid and broccoli until smooth and pour in miso mixture.

Beets: 

- beets (I used a mix of red and yellow, 6 total which made 3-4 servings), diced into roughly equally-sized chunks. I have no patience for peeling vegetables so I avoid it whenever possible. These turned out fine without peeling, I just scrubbed them well with a brush.
- splash of balsamic vinegar
- splash of olive oil

Mix ingredients on a bakeable tray or dish and bake at 400 for about 45 minutes, until tender. Cover, or not. I sometimes do and sometimes forget and they survive.

I put a dollop of kalamata olive puree on top because I was craving olives but it was a bit of a flavor combination fail. I think I'll have them plain tomorrow and let the beets speak for themselves.

So, that's day one of being back on track! Any tips for foods that make you feel extra awesome?

Hey lady, what are you eating?? 

No comments:

Post a Comment