Sunday, June 30, 2013

Coconut Dhal, AKA cleaning out the pantry Sunday

Today I was so tempted to go out and buy ingredients for a fun meal. Then I opened the fridge and realized that I had more than enough food if I could just figure out how to use it all! Google to the rescue, I found this recipe for Coconut Dhal: http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/3794/coconut-dhal and decided it would probably be great served over my favourite base, sliced zucchini (and today, yellow squash!)  This turned out to be delicious and it was super easy to make. I think this will be a regular meal for me!



 I sauteed the onion first, then added the other ingredients:



Sliced up the squash with my V-Slicer:


And served with fresh ground pepper and a healthy dose of sriracha:



Coconut dhal with zucchini and yellow squash

Ingredients:
- 1 1/4 cups dry red lentils
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 1/3 cups water
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1 small zucchini, julienned
- 1 small yellow squash, julienned
- salt, cayenne, dried chili flakes & pepper to taste

1. Saute onion in oil of your choice until soft, approximately 5 minutes
2. Add tomatoes, coconut milk, lentils, water, cayenne and chili flakes (I used about 1/2 teaspoon of each)
3. Cook for ~20 minutes until the water is mostly absorbed and lentils are soft. Stir frequently to prevent sticking
4. Pour lentils over sliced vegetables. Add pepper and sriracha to taste


2 comments:

  1. i'm going to try this tomorrow lady.
    instead of the tomatoes, you think tomato paste would be okay?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think so! The tomatoes kind of break down in the final product anyway so it's not like there are big pieces of tomato left.

    ReplyDelete